Who is a Sinner?
Who is a sinner?
1) One that lives without law. The Word of God is the Law that each one of us is responsible to keep. When one does not obey the Law of God, he lives without law. John says it this way: "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law" (I John 3:4). "For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God" (I Corinthians 1:18).
2) One that is not righteous. "All unrighteousness is sin" (I John 5:17). A sinner is one that practices unrighteousness, and Paul lists some of the sins that make one unrighteous (I Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-21).
3) One that is unfaithful. "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him" (Hebrews 11:6).
4) One condemned to death. "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 6:23). Jesus said, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned" (Mark 16:16).
5) One that will be lost. "For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost" (Luke 19:10). Paul said, "This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief" (I Timothy 1:15). Here we plainly see that sinners will be lost.
6) One that is separated from God. "Behold, the Lord's hand is not so short That it cannot save; Neither is his ear so dull That it cannot hear. But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, And your sins have hid His face from you, so that he does not hear" (Isaiah 59:1-2).
7) One that is spiritually sick. "When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance" (Mark 2:17).
8) One that is in darkness. "This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth" (I John 1:5-6).
9) Is of the devil. "He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil" (I John 3:8).
10) Is a servant of sin. "Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin" (John 8:34).
11) All of us. "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). Yes, that means all of us!