How God Has Not Revealed Himself
Please open your Bibles and study with me as we continue our study from last week concerning how Bible authority is established.
The second thing we must understand is how God has revealed to us His authority. GOD DID NOT reveal to man His authority:
1. THROUGH PERSONAL FEELINGS. The wise man says, "He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool" (Proverbs 28:26) and Jeremiah adds, "O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps" (Jeremiah 10:23). It matters not what I personally feel, but what does God say do.
2. BY OUR CONSCIENCE. The wise says, "There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death" (Proverbs 16:25). Our conscience is the product of our education and therefore not always a safe guide to follow. Following the Word of God is ALWAYS THE RIGHT WAY.
3. THROUGH OUR PARENTS. Jesus taught, "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me" (Matthew 10:37). Jesus was not teaching that we hate and disobey our parents, but rather that we "ought to obey God rather than men" (Acts 5:29).
4. THROUGH HUMAN WISDOM. "For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God" (I Corinthians 3:19). The world in its wisdom says, "There is no God" and the Word of God says, "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God" (Psalms 14:1).
5. THROUGH HUMAN CREEDS OR DOCTRINES OR TRADITIONS OF MEN. Jesus said, "Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men" (Matthew 15:7-9). The apostle John says, "Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son" (2 John 9).
6. THROUGH MAJORITY RULE. "Everybody is doing it, so it must be right". Was this true during the days of Noah? Jesus said, "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it" (Matthew 7:13-14). Those in heaven will be the few, not the majority.
How then has God revealed unto men His authority? More next week.