Unity in Truth Part 2
We continue our study today in Ephesians 4:4-6 concerning the proper "truth" necessary for there to be peace and unity among us.
3. ONE HOPE (Ephesians 4:4). Paul says we must be united with “one hope” (eternal life), a unity of one goal. Paul spoke of our "hope which is laid up for you in heaven" (Colossians 1:5) being our goal. Jesus has gone to prepare a place for us for all eternity (John 14:1-2). Some have a hope in a physical kingdom to be established by Christ on earth in Jerusalem for a 1000 years. The Kingdom of Jesus Christ has already been established, which is the saved of God (Matthew 16:18-19; Colossians 1:13-14; Revelation 1:9). The “one hope” is "a better country, that is a heavenly one" (Hebrews 11:16).
4. ONE LORD (Ephesians 4:5). There is “one Lord”, that is, a unity of one source of authority. Jesus Christ is our “one Lord” (Matthew 28:18; Acts 2:36; John 17:2). We must not look to man or follow man as our source of authority in religion. Paul said, "And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus" (Colossians 3:17). My friend, who are you following, a man or our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ? Do you have authority from Jesus Christ in doing all that you do religiously?
5. ONE FAITH (Ephesians 4:5). To have peace and unity we must have unity of doctrine. The “one faith” is the Word of God, the Truth, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Jude said, "contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints" (Jude 3). Here "faith" is used to represent the sum total of God's Word to man. Notice that the faith was "once delivered unto the saints". The Word of God was delivered complete in the first century. Peter said, "According as His divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue" (2 Peter 1:3). Since we have "all things that pertain to life and godliness", can we not see why Paul said, "though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed" (Galatians 1:8). My friend, do you follow the Word of God or the doctrines of men?
6. ONE BAPTISM (Ephesians 4:5). To have peace and unity there must be unity of practice. Most religions practice what they call baptism by sprinkling, pouring, or immersion. The religious world is divided over this. Paul solves the problem, there is ONE BAPTISM! Sprinkling, pouring, and immersion is THREE BAPTISMS! The Word of God does not leave us in the dark on this question of unity. Jesus said baptism saves us (Mark 16:16). Peter said baptism is for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38). Paul said baptism is a burial (Romans 6:3-7; Colossians 2:12). The “one baptism” that the Word of God teaches is immersion for the remission of sins. My friend, let's be united. Be baptized the Bible way.
7. ONE GOD AND FATHER (Ephesians 4:6). We must have unity of worship if we are to have peace and unity. Jesus taught, "Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve" (Matthew 4:10). We are not to worship man, animals, stars, or the devil. "Worship God" (Revelation 22:9). My friend, if we would ALL follow the divine instructions for peace and unity, there would be no divisions and God would be glorified. Amen.