Do You Really Want To Go To Heaven?
Do you ever feel like you can't live good enough to go to heaven? Or maybe you feel you've just sinned so much (done too many bad things) that God could never forgive you? Maybe you feel like you just can't do everything God wants you to do?
Many times folks get the idea that Moses, David, Elijah, Paul, Peter, etc. were super-human, that is, not like us at all, and that it was so easy for these folks to obey God and that it's not for us. My friend, here are some things we all must understand.
The Bad News Is:
1) Sin is terrible. "For the wages of sin is death" (Romans 6:23).
2) It only takes one sin to separate us from God. Do you remember the examples of Moses and Aaron (Numbers 20:8-12) and Lot's wife (Genesis 19:26)?
3) And all have sinned. Paul records, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). That's some really bad news.
4) If man does not repent (turn to God) and have his sins forgiven in the blood of Christ, Jesus says, "ye shall all likewise perish" (Luke 13:3).
The Good News Is:
1) God wants to forgive us. "The Lord, the Lord God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin" (Exodus 34:6-7). "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls" (Matthew 11:28-29).
2) Whoever you are, you can be forgiven. "Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons" (Acts 10:34). Paul says, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:28). And yes, that means YOU can be saved from your sins and have hope of heaven (Mark 16:16).
3) You can be forgiven of any and all sins. God sent His Son to die on the cross for all sins, "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the spirit" (I Peter 3:18). John says that even Christians can be forgiven of any and all sins, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (I John 1:9).
4) Everyone that wants to go to heaven can. Being a Christian is not easy, however, God does not require anything of us that we cannot do. "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous" (I John 5:3).
Do you really want to go to heaven?