Is Christ Our Life?
You can find statistics on about any subject you can think of. Statistics are interesting and sometimes help us come to grips with reality. I ran across some statistics from an old church bulletin that I hope will be of help to each of us.
IF YOU LIVE TO BE 70:
1. YOU WILL SPEND 3 YEARS IN EDUCATION
2. YOU WILL SPEND 8 YEARS IN AMUSEMENT
3. YOU WILL SPEND 6 YEARS IN EATING
4. YOU WILL SPEND 5 YEARS IN TRAVEL
5. YOU WILL SPEND 4 YEARS IN CONVERSATION
6. YOU WILL SPEND 14 YEARS WORKING
7. YOU WILL SPEND 24 YEARS SLEEPING
8. AND IF YOU ATTEND SERVICES EVERY SUNDAY MORNING; IF YOU ATTEND SERVICES EVERY SUNDAY EVENING; IF YOU GO TO BIBLE STUDY EVERY WEDNESDAY EVENING; IF YOU STUDY THE BIBLE FIVE MINUTES EACH DAY; YOU WILL SPEND 2 YEARS SERVING GOD - AND IN THE STUDY OF HIS WORD!
If these figures are even half-way close, what a small part of our lives we give to serve the Eternal God who gave His only begotten Son that we might have eternal life (John 3:16).
James says, "Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil. Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin" (James 4:13-17).
Paul says that, “If we have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above” (Colossians 3:1). Christ is to be “our life” and not just a few leftovers (Colossians 3:4).
My friend, may we all heed Paul's warning, "Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is" (Ephesians 5:16-17).