Do You Know Our Living God?
God is the beginning and the end of all things - our faith and our hope. Without God we would not exist. From God come all our many physical and spiritual blessings. The more we know of God, the more we will love Him. The more we love Him, the better we will serve Him (I John 5:3).
The Bible teaches that there is a God. In Romans 1:18-19 the Bible says, "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be KNOWN OF GOD (emp LS) is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them". Also notice that God has made Himself known unto man. God has made Himself known unto man in two ways:
1) Through Creation. "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork" (Psalms 19:1).
2) Through His Word. "God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds" (Hebrews 1:1-2).
Our God is called "the living God" (Joshua 3:10; I Timothy 3:15). "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God" (Psalms 14:1). The knowledge of God and knowing God is essential for, "without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him" (Hebrews 11:6). The knowledge of God and knowing God is also essential in:
1) Knowing ourselves. Where did I come from (Genesis 1:26)? Why am I here (Ecclesiastes 12:13)? Where am I going (John 5:28-29)?
2) Knowing how to worship Him acceptable. Some worship Him in ignorance (Acts 17:22-23). We must worship Him "in spirit and in truth" (John 4:24).
3) Knowing how to live godly lives. Since godliness is living like God, it follows that no one can live a godly life without a knowledge of God.
4) Obtaining eternal life. "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent" (John 17:3).
The Bible teaches, "For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God." Many so-called "scholars" of today say that the universe "just happened"; that there is no Divine Creator; and that man is just the descendant of the monkey. The Holy Spirit said through the apostle Paul, "Where is the wise? where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe...Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men" (I Corinthians 1:20-21,25).