Baptism Is Important
In a discussion of religion, the subject of baptism is soon brought up. Some believe baptism is very important, some think it's not. Is baptism important? My friend, it does not matter what I may say or what someone else may say about baptism. What matters is what does the Bible, the Word of God, say about baptism! Only the Bible can give us the truth on any Bible subject (2 Peter 1:3; 2 Timothy 3:16-17).
What does the Bible say about baptism? For lack of space in this article, I would ask the reader to please open your Bible and read these passages: Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15-16; Acts 2:38; Acts 22:16; Romans 6:3-5; I Corinthians 12:13; Galatians 3:26-27; I Peter 3:21. There are other passages in the Word of God that teach us concerning baptism, but these will suffice for our study today.
Bible baptism has to do with sin and the sinner. Please read again Acts 2:38 and Acts 22:16. In both passages, sinners were being talked to and baptism was the subject concerning the forgiveness of their sins.
Who is a sinner? A sinner is one that commits sin. Sin is defined by scripture as "the transgression of law" (I John 3:4) and "all unrighteousness is sin" (I John 5:17). Who are sinners? The Bible teaches that "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). The Bible teaches that baptism has to do with sin and the sinner. Since "all have sinned", then baptism is IMPORTANT TO ALL OF US!
Baptism stands between the sinner and:
1. SALVATION (Mark 16:15-16; I Peter 3:21).
2. REMISSION (FORGIVENESS) OF SINS (Acts 2:38).
3. WASHING AWAY SINS (Acts 22:16).
4. DEATH OF CHRIST (Romans 6:3-5). In the death of Christ, the sinner contacts the blood of Christ (Matthew 26:28; Revelation 1:5; Ephesians 1:7).
5. NEWNESS OF LIFE (Romans 6:4-5; 2 Corinthians 5:17).
6. PUTTING ON OR CLOTHED WITH CHRIST (Galatians 3:26-27).
7. GOOD CONSCIENCE (I Peter 3:21).
8. THE BODY OF CHRIST OR THE CHURCH (I Corinthians 12:13).
9. SANCTIFICATION (Ephesians 5:25-26; Hebrews 13:12).
10. JUSTIFICATION (I Corinthians 6:11; Acts 18:8).
THE WORD OF GOD SAYS BAPTISM IS IMPORTANT! Who will you believe, man or God?