Judgement Day Surprises
The Bible says, "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad" (II Corinthians 5:10). The Day of Judgment has been appointed, "...in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained" (Acts 17:31). Jesus said, "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity" (Matthew 7:22-23). Jesus is teaching that some are going to be surprised on the day of judgement. Some that will be surprised:
1. the Atheist will be surprised on the day of judgement that there really is a God. Those who have refused to believe in God, give heed, "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God" (Psalms 14:1). "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork" (Psalms 19:1). A day of BIG surprise is coming for the atheist.
2. Jews that have denied Jesus of Nazareth as the Christ, the Son of the Living God. The apostle Peter said, "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ" (Acts 2:36). The resurrection of Jesus proved Him to be the Son of God (Romans 1:4) as well as the testimony of the Holy Spirit. "But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (John 20:31). There's a BIG surprise awaiting the unbelieving Jew.
3. Denominational folks will be surprised that: 1) there really is just "one body" (Ephesians 4:4), that is, one church; 2) baptism really is for the "remission of sins" (Acts 2:38; 22:16); 3) that faith only is dead (James 2:17, 19-20, 24, 26); 4) and that there really is an eternal hell (Matthew 25:34, 41, 46).
4. some Christians will be surprised on that great day that even some of them won’t be going to heaven (Matthew 7:21-23).
5. the Faithful will be surprised that heaven is much more beautiful than was ever imagined (Revelation 21:1-4).
My friend, there is no excuse for any of us to be disappointedly surprised on that great day, for we have God's Word to study and know what God expects of each one of us (2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:3). Read, study and obey His Word before it's too late.